C-Poll

The latest C-Poll is closed. You can read all about it here!

July 22, 2004

NYT continues its kill-your-baby-and-be-proud campaign

The New York Times, after causing a stir with Amy Richards' heartwarming account of how she aborted two of the triplets she was carrying, has struck again.  Today, Barbara Ehrenreich is lambasting women who think that some reasons for abortion are morally more acceptable than others.  Ehrenreich, of course, believes that any reason whatsoever will do, and that the "mother" should spare no time for second thoughts.

The prejudice is widespread that a termination for medical reasons is somehow on a higher moral plane than a run-of-the-mill abortion. In a 1999 survey of Floridians, for example, 82 percent supported legal abortion in the case of birth defects, compared with about 40 percent in situations where the woman simply could not afford to raise another child.

But what makes it morally more congenial to kill a particular "defective" fetus than to kill whatever fetus happens to come along, on an equal opportunity basis? Medically informed "terminations" are already catching heat from disability rights groups, and, indeed, some of the conditions for which people are currently choosing abortion, like deafness or dwarfism, seem a little sketchy to me. I'll still defend the right to choose abortion in these cases, even if it isn't the choice I'd make for myself.

Like Amy Richards did, Ehrenreich ends with a reassurance that she's not a bad person:

Honesty begins at home, so I should acknowledge that I had two abortions during my all-too-fertile years. You can call me a bad woman, but not a bad mother. I was a dollar-a-word freelancer and my husband a warehouse worker, so it was all we could do to support the existing children at a grubby lower-middle-class level. And when it comes to my children - the actual extrauterine ones, that is - I was, and remain, a lioness.

In making the appalling "extrauterine" distinction, she is implicitly admitting that the ones she killed were also her children.  This is no gotcha, though.  To the feminists, abortion has always been about the "mother", not the child, so whatever one happens to call that uterine mass is a matter of one's personal preference.

No comments: