C-Poll

The latest C-Poll is closed. You can read all about it here!

August 28, 2004

W and campaign finance reform

<Grumble>
 
To commemorate the president denouncing this past week the "527" organizations that inevitably arose as a way around the McCain-Feingold Free Speech Strangulation Act (also known as campaign finance reform), Ramesh Ponnuru gives a quick history of Bush's evolving position on campaign finance:
1) I'm against it, and you should vote for me over John McCain on this basis.
 
2) Some campaign-finance reforms amount to a restriction on free speech, and I'll veto them on that basis.
 
3) I'll sign the bill, let the judges sort it out.
 
4) The bill I just signed bans all those George Soros ads.
 
5) I'm going to sue to get those ads all banned.
 
6) I'm going to support legislation to ban those ads that I already banned, even though they used to be free speech.
 
I think (5) and (6) are new this week.
McCain-Feingold stinks, the president knew it when he signed it, but he signed it anyway (in the mistaken assumption that the Supremes would strike it down -- as if it were the sole prerogative of the courts to determine the constitutionality of laws). 
 
Absent the war, we would likely have seen a much greater conservative rebellion against Bush because of 'accomplishments' like this.
 
</Grumble>
 
P.S. He still has my vote.  I just had to get that off my chest.

No comments: