C-Poll

The latest C-Poll is closed. You can read all about it here!

February 20, 2009

CNN 'rescue' poll assumes too much, misses half of story

CNN/Money is running the following online poll today:


At the moment, "Housing" has a significant lead at 52%, and it is not likely to give up its lead.

I'm amazed at how much is assumed by the poll question. For example, the assumption that all of the listed programs will 'help' people.

Sure, many individuals will be able to benefit from, say, a government-subsidized mortgage adjustment. But is that the whole story?

Where will the money for that mortgage adjustment come from? How many other people will be harmed (through the confiscation of their assets) so that this person can be helped?

What is the net number of people that will be helped by these bailouts? It's quite possible that the net will be negative.

I apologize. The only real negative here is my selfish attitude. I must remember the words of our soon-to-be dear leader when he taught us last October:
"My attitude is that if the economy's good for folks from the bottom up, it's gonna be good for everybody. I think when you spread the wealth around, it's good for everybody."
Never mind. I'm okay now. Forget I said anything.

No comments: