C-Poll

The latest C-Poll is closed. You can read all about it here!

September 6, 2004

9/11/2001 online

As the events of September 11, 2001 unfolded I remember trying without success to gather information on the Internet.  All news sites were overwhelmed to the point where I just stopped trying.  Secondary news sources like the conservative Free Republic website were similarly overwhelmed -- I don't think I ever got a page load from that site on that day.  On that one day, the broadcast and cable media were a more available source of news than was the Internet.
 
Those who were able to access Free Republic were going nuts as they related what they were hearing on a moment by moment basis.  The Patriot Edition has done the service of compiling links to FR's "live threads" from that morning.  Whatever one's political persuasion, it's hard to read these without feeling a chill while reading as the thread participants come to the realization that the crash of the first plane at the WTC was not just a horrible tragedy...

2 comments:

Tim said...

Reader "Chocolate" writes:This seems like an "out of the blue" topic. What prompted you to discuss it?

I made sure to write down everything that I did - and didn't do - that day, and what I felt, before the details disappeared from focus. I wanted a good historical record. Although, I would say that most of that day is still darn crystal clear.

Chocolate

Tim said...

Hey, Chocolate:

I came across the site via Free Republic. Since the 9/11 anniversary is coming up, the time was right.