- Michelle Malkin lists a lot of ways to help.
- NOAA has posted aerial surveys of the Mississippi coastal area.
- Planned Parenthood displays their customary tact and sensitivity by offering free "morning after" pills and birth control to women in the disaster area.
- It didn't take long for someone to organize a relief concert.
- It also didn't take long for the greenies to (incorrectly) blame Katrina on global warming and blame President Bush for not signing Kyoto. See this Discover Magazine interview with hurricane expert William Gray for the contrary point of view. (Thanks to Peer Review for the Discover link)
- Still underreported (although AP is now quoting the NO mayor's fears regarding that city) is the likelihood that the death toll will run into the thousands. Right now, relief workers are essentially pushing the bodies aside as they search for survivors. The count hasn't really begun yet.
- The lawlessness in NO is breathtaking. According to this report, "armed looters" are holding the staff and patients of Tulane Medical Center hostage at this moment (Wednesday afternoon), and are firing at National Guardsmen.
- The looting appears to be out of control in Gulfport as well.
August 31, 2005
Katrina Quick Takes
Here are a few things I've come across today regarding the unfolding tragedy on the Gulf coast.