C-Poll

The latest C-Poll is closed. You can read all about it here!

April 5, 2005

True Life: I'm Immature, And I Don't Care Who Knows It

I am the staff advisor for a student organization at the university where I work. In that capacity, I get spammed from across the fruited plain by those seeking access to the students in this group. Today, I received an e-mail from someone scouting out prospects for a new episode of MTV's "True Life", a documentary series on "the lives and concerns of young adults". Here is an excerpt from the casting call:
TRUE LIFE: I Have Jealousy Issues

At first, jealousy in a relationship can be flattering. When your partner doesn't want anyone else to even look at you, it can seem like it's because they love you and are scared of losing you. But jealousy can easily become ugly, quick. An extremely jealous partner can make you feel trapped and ultimately destroy the relationship.

Is jealousy putting a strain on your relationship? Is it common for your boyfriend/girlfriend to start arguments or fights with other people when the two of you are out on dates? Or are you the jealous one? Do the actions of your partner consume your every thought? Do you go to extremes when you find yourself in a fit of jealousy?

MTV is currently conducting research and casting for an upcoming episode of the Emmy Award winning documentary series True Life. Since 1998, True Life has covered a diverse mix of stories, ranging from pop culture trends to breaking news topics. Whether documenting the lives of soldiers going to war, or people undergoing plastic surgery -- True Life tells its stories solely from the varied voices and points-of-view of its characters -- putting the series in the unique position of reflecting the state of youth culture at any given moment.

Recent True Life shows include True Life: I'm Obese, True Life: I'm in a Wheelchair, True Life: I'm Shipping Out, True Life: I Have an Eating Disorder and True Life: I'm Adopted.

Currently, we are looking for men and women, who appear to be between the ages of 18 -28, who are involved in jealous relationships. We are scheduled to begin shooting immediately. If you know of anyone who meets this criteria and who would like to share their story please contact us. We will initially be conducting phone interviews with those interested in sharing their journey.
I suppose that I can understand some people being willing to tell the world their feelings about shipping out or being in a wheelchair, but there's something really twisted about a couple going in front of the cameras to talk about unresolved problems in their relationship — instead of simply working to resolve them. Going on TV won't help.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Jerry Springer, here we come!!!

Tim said...

I thought of that, too. I suspect, though, that most young people who would be willing to share their innermost thoughts on True Life would consider it beneath them to talk about the exact same things on Springer.

Ray said...

You get the best spam.

I'm jealous.

All right, I'm really envious. Can I still be on the show?

Anonymous said...

I just witnessed an episode of this show regarding a teen whose parents are nudists. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't exposing yourself to your minor children and their friends a type of child sexual abuse? Hello?