C-Poll

The latest C-Poll is closed. You can read all about it here!

April 11, 2005

Uncle Sam didn't want me

I just spent a week not serving on a jury for the U.S. District Court, about 100 miles from home. For those of you not familiar with the process, I was on call for six working days (all of last week, plus today). At 6p.m. on the evening before each potential service day (or 6p.m. on Friday evening prior to a Monday service day), I had to call the court's automated Jury Information Service (JIS) and find out what my reporting instructions were for the next day. If they had said "Come on down!", I would have been required to drop everything and show up at the courthouse at 8a.m. the next morning.

As it was, each time I called, JIS informed me that, even though I was still on call, I was not required to report the next day. Finally, three days ago, JIS cheerfully thanked me for my (availability for) service, and told me I was free to carry on with my life.

Just kidding on that last part — but it is good to finally be able to plan more than 24 hours into the future again.

Also on the plus side, the constitutionalist in me is thrilled that at least this court didn't have enough work to keep a jury pool busy...

No comments: